HOW TO CORRECTLY ADHESE THE EYE OF THE Pug
This article will discuss how to properly glue a pug’s ears.
The shape of the pug’s ears can be of three types:
1. “button (button)” – the ear is a triangle, hangs well on the cartilage and completely closes the ear canal;
2. “rose” – the ear is “broken” in the cartilage, slightly opens the ear canal;
3. “false rose” – the ear is “broken in the cartilage” and sitting high, so that almost the entire auditory meatus opens.
The standard permits the first two types of ear, the first of which (“button”) is more preferable, the second (“rose”) is acceptable, the third is not desirable; “deafness” is also undesirable – when the shape of the ears is different.
Why adjust the shape?
The shape of the ears is adjusted so that both ears of the pug are the same and have the desired “button” shape. In puppies, at the moment of the beginning of rapid growth and tooth change (usually from 3-4 months), the ear cartilage begins to “break”, this breakage lasts up to 1-1.5 years, and in the end the cartilage may not fall into place. In order to maintain its shape and prevent an adult dog from having an undesirable shape of ears or “deafness”, the earloop is fixed with a band-aid until the ears finally take the desired shape. There are some exceptions – some dogs don’t need to glue their ears at all, and some dogs, no matter how glue they are, will not stand up after breaking. But still, in most pugs, correction brings positive results.
Who needs this?
Firstly, of course, to the dog that will participate in the exhibitions, since the shape of the ears of the “button” is the most preferred and most aesthetic of all. The ears of the “button” emphasize the pug’s head and visually make it more voluminous.
Secondly, the ears of the “button” can be called more practical – they completely cover the ear canal and better protect the pug’s ear from water, dirt, and also flutter less in the wind during active games, and in cold weather protect the ear from freezing, than reduce risk of otitis media.
Even if you have a “sofa” pug and will never participate in exhibitions and pedigree work, I strongly recommend not to be lazy and take care of correct ears adjustment. The reasons are indicated above. Omitting the practical side of the issue, I would like to remind you that we, people, not being artists, movie stars, etc. – comb your hair in the morning, try to hide some of your minor flaws, choose beautiful clothes and jewelry, etc. Let us give our pets the right to a more beautiful “face”, which is favorably emphasized by the ears of “buttons” and somewhat spoil the ears of “roses” and “false roses”. Moreover, for most pugs, the ears gluing procedure does not bring any suffering. Of course, if your mopsik has delicate skin on the ears and the patch causes irritation and severe itching, then you do not need to do ear gluing – let it be as it is.
See how the same pug’s head looks with different ear shapes (from left to right: “button” is the desired option; “rose” is the acceptable option; “false rose” is the undesirable option):
How to glue the ears?
The diagram shows the correct shape of the ear “button” and the ear with a broken cartilage “rose”. The schematic images show what cartilage looks like. When correctly positioned, the ear hangs on the cartilage, as in an arc. When the ear breaks, the cartilage in the back looks as if it was folded in half (see dotted lines in the diagram).
A folded ear is fixed with a piece of adhesive tape across, as high as possible, closer to the cartilage. They are fixed firmly, but not too tight so as not to disturb the blood circulation.
The patch is left on the ear until the adhesive layer begins to disintegrate and the patch itself falls off the ear (up to 2 weeks without a break). Then the ears are given a “rest” until the cartilage breaks again (usually 1-2 days), and sealed again.
– If the dog has irritation or the ear bothers her (this is the first time the ear is sealed or if the skin is soft), then the patch should be removed, the irritation healed and glued again, less tight or pick up another patch (for example, with hypoallergenic glue).
– If you go with the dog to the exhibition, then the patch can be removed 10-15 minutes before the start of the ring, so that your ears do not break on the road.
– In order not to tear out the hairs that adhere to the patch, before removing, the patch can be coated in a circle with baby cream or any greasy cream, and after 30 minutes (when it gets wet) – remove. Wipe the ear off the cream. This method is not suitable at the exhibition – the cream will remain on the ear with a bold layer.
What is needed to correct the shape of the ears?
1. A thin medical adhesive plaster (1 cm wide), better than normal, and NOT bactericidal (you can use a patch with a hypoallergenic adhesive base, if the skin on the ear is sensitive).
2. If the ears do not take the desired shape for a long time, then you can use dressings for cartilage and joints (which will help the ear cartilage to become stronger), for example: Canina Artro Tabletten + Canina GAG, or Polidex Gelabon Plus, or Canipur Calcigel, etc. .